Archipelago is committed to providing professional development for visiting teachers and music education students. As part of the Musical Leadership Academy, Archipelago is offering teacher training for culturally-aware music educators interested in learning how to introduce diverse curriculum of Brass Band, Jazz, Popular Music, and composition into their curriculum and daily classes/lessons.
- Technique discussions on how to introduce and use diverse repertoire in music curriculum.
- Opportunity to see and teach curriculum first hand.
Participants will be assistant instructors during all of the classes in the Academy, immersing them into the curriculum by actively participating in the process.
- Opportunity for participants to experience curriculum and high-level music making by playing in the Archipelago Teacher Ensemble.
The Archipelago Teacher Ensemble performs a wide range of music including: Brass Band, Polka, Jazz, Pop, Funk, Salsa, and more. This provides teachers the opportunity to play and work on similar material that they will eventually teach. It also gives teachers a chance to pick other teachers’ brains on how to better play these styles and what artists they should listen to help improve their fluency in a specific genre.
How can I participate in this program?
Are you part of a participating program?
If so, Archipelago is covering the Lodging and Food for one representative* from each Sistema program that sends two or more students. If you are a part of a Sistema program that is participating in the Musical Leadership Academy, discuss with your program whether you will be the official representative of your program and then contact Archipelago to give them your information.
*The Representative of a program will also have chaperoning duties for the students they send.
Not a current member of a participating program?
No problem, we want you to participate also.
- Just fill out the teacher registration form and pay the $875 participation fee.
The participation fee will cover:
- Participation in the all components of the MLATC.
- Lodging at the NMC Dorms.
- 3 meals per day.